UPK (4 yrs) Head Teacher I
SALARY: $2,776.00 Bi-Weekly
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Staten Island YMCA South Shore Center, is seeking a Head UPK Teacher for a 4-year-old classroom. The UPK Teacher will plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum that supports and encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of the preschool 4 students. They will work within the framework of the Center’s program to carry out its functions, policies, and procedures; including but not limited to student assessments, work sampling, individualized plans, and parent/ family engagement. The Head UPK Teacher will supervise, coach and support Assistant Teachers and Activity Specialists as appropriate.
The Early Childhood Program operates, Monday – Friday, from September 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan developmentally appropriate and engaging lessons and activities.
- Implement lessons and activities; including but not limited to literacy, arts, math, cooking, science, outdoor/indoor recreation, field trips, etc.
- Develop classroom centers that respond to children’s interests and are coordinated with the ongoing curriculum.
- Facilitate student assessments and work sampling.
- Work with parents to promote understanding the growth and development of their child. Effectively communicate with parents, verbally and in written form, throughout the school year.
- Encourage parent participation in special events, meetings, and in-class volunteer opportunities.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the YMCA Branch; and supervise Assistant Teachers, Early Childhood Specialists, and Volunteers.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment.
- Maintain accurate program documentation; including by not limited to incident/ accident/ behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in/ sign-out sheets, development/ growth forms; document eating and sleeping, parent surveys, etc.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education (if applicable) guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, all training sessions, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and
- well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Three years of experience working with early childhood-aged children in a group setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood AND;
- Teaching license or certificate valid for service in the early childhood grades as set forth by New York State Education Department (NYSED) regulations. This includes Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2); (n-6); or (Pre-K-6) certification OR Teaching license or certificate for Children with Disabilities (Birth-Grade 2).
- Strong interpersonal skills, leadership qualities, and comfortable with working with diverse youth and adults.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities