Salary: $23.00 - $28.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking an Aquatics Supervisor who will be responsible for maintaining safe conditions in and around the swim area at the West Side YMCA. He/she will promote a safe and positive atmosphere in accordance with YMCA aquatics policies and procedures. Will lifeguard and provide swim instruction for different ages and ability levels; will motivate his/her participants. Will also provide on deck supervision during program times, assist the Aquatics Director with maintaining records and ensuring participants/parent concerns are addressed in a timely manner. Serves as a model to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor (uniform and positive attitude) to other aquatics staff.
- Must be Rescue Ready: uniform, pocket face mask/gloves, whistle and rescue tube
- Continuous and active scanning of the pool.
- Must be Instructor Ready: uniform, lesson plans, maintain records (attendance, track progress and complete end of session report).
- Instruct participants according to YMCA aquatics program standards: using all 5 components, guided discovery, effective class organization and positive relationship with participants.
- Ensure instructional equipment remains in good condition; have all equipment ready prior to classes and put away after.
- Attend mandatory in-service training monthly.
- Must attain the YMCA Lifeguard Certification within 90 days of hire and the YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 120 days of hire.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes.
- Enforce aquatics safety rules consistently and fairly.
- Maintain positive relationships with class participants, parents, non-class members and staff. Show members and colleagues respect by listening carefully and showing empathy when dealing with a difficult situation.
- Assist the Aquatics Director with office duties including, but not limited to: retrieving and responding to messages, assisting with program and staff schedules, assisting in maintaining class ratios when needed, assist in covering Lifeguard and/or Instructor shifts when needed.
- Assist Swim Coach during swim team season as well as be able to take over coaching duties as needed.
- Be punctual for all shifts.
- Support and assist with fundraising and program events.
- Must follow the directions of the YMCA aquatic supervisors in accordance with YMCA aquatic standards.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
- Current YMCA Swim Lessons certification or equivalent.
- Current CPRO, BLS, First, Emergency Oxygen and Swim Instructor certifications.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness.
- Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities