Activity Specialist - Podcasting
Salary: $17.00 - $40.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking an Activity Specialist - Podcasting. Under the supervision of the Community School Director, the Activity Specialist will play a critical role in providing academic enhancement and enrichment in the Y After School program, including Holiday Camps. The Activity Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for middle school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth. Specifically, the Activity Specialist will prepare and provide age-appropriate podcasting instruction for grades 6th -8th.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of participants in the program by always providing appropriate supervision.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in Podcasting.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of Podcasting including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating piece at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with Afterschool Counselors, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Work with the Community School Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for Podcasting.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School Program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for Podcasting.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent. College credits and formal education in Media Arts or Communication preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth, specifically in the area of Media arts or Communication.
- Knowledge of podcasting software systems.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities